Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Want to Find Free Etext Books in More Sites?

My desire to accumulate U.S. history books and biographies has led me to some interesting sites. If you have ever done a Google search for "free etext" you probably know about gutenberg.org, etext.virginia.edu, arthursclassicnovels.com and other URL's. Want to find free etext books in more sites? What many do not know is the availability of the three best sites that allow you to download thousands of books in PDF format and a variety of other formats. The three sites are http://www.archive.org/advancedsearch.php, http://manybooks.net/ and http://books.google.com/advanced_book_search?.

Remember, most of these books were generally written long before the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration so you will not find Gone With The Wind or most of the other popular twentieth century writings.

My download files are generally made in txt and PDF format. If you are going to use PDF format you will need to download Acrobat Reader 8.0 from adobe.com (it is free). PDF format is my personal preference because the entire book is digitized, including the cover. You have an image of the book just as it appears on the shelf. The problems with PDF format are (1) you have to learn how to use Acrobat Reader well and (2) you have to possess something better than a dial-up modem system to make most of the downloads. Most of these books are five to eighty-five megabits and it takes some time to download them.

The following details each site, explains what each provides and explains how to search and download your choices.

http://www.archive.org/advancedsearch.php

This site appears to be sponsored by Microsoft Corporation in cooperation with the University of California. There may be many more businesses and universities

Read more of Bob's article on Associated Content.

1 comment:

April Lorier said...

What a helpful article, Judy! Wow, now if only I had more "eye juice"! ha! My eyes get tired so easily, now, and with all the writing I do, I doubt I could read books at these sites. BUT I will forward this info to my friends who have better eyesight than I!

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert