Thursday, September 18, 2008

Julie Elizabeth Martin - Oct 7, 1956 - Aug 23, 2008

She was so generous. I want to tell you about a gift she gave me last Christmas. One day during the holiday season the UPS truck pulled up to my house and left a fairly heavy box on my doorstep. It had a return address from Amazon.com and since Bob has occasionally ordered books from them I thought he had ordered something for Christmas. Then when I opened the box it further confused me because it was a Paula Deen appointment calendar and a dozen cans of Bing Cherries! I couldn’t imagine Bob ordering something like that. Later that day Julie contacted me asking if I had gotten her package! We had been having an on-going conversation about Coca-Cola and Cranberry Salad which is Bob’s favorite Christmas dish and I had casually mentioned that I didn’t make it very often any more because I had such a hard time finding the cherries.

She was a wonderful, sweet, interesting cousin and I'll miss our emails and conversations about food, family and our search for family links that will continue to bind us even in her absence.


4 comments:

Carol said...

We are all lucky to have friends such as this Judith. I am so sorry that she has passed away. She may not be with you here, but she will always be with you in spirit.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thank you so much, Carol. Yes, I miss her and sometime even wake up in the morning with her on my mind. I had not known her very long. Our parents were 1st cousins at the opposite ends of the age spectrum of 2 siblings. Our grandfathers were brothers and my Daddy was closer to his uncle (her grandfather) in age, thus the difference in our ages. She talked to me many times about the family and filled in many blanks and questions. Thank you again for your kind words, Carol.

Orange and Blue said...

She sounds like she was such a wonderful person Can you post the recipe for that cranberry/Coke concoction? I'd like to whip up a batch to honor her memory, and I'm sure some of the other blog readers would, too!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

I will post that recipe here in just a little while. So glad you enjoyed reading about Julie and her generous nature!

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert