Friday, March 27, 2009

Six Flags have Flown over Texas

Recently I have been posting about my Richards ancestors involved in the Texas Revolution. Since Texas fought for and won her independence from Mexico she has continued to thrive first as a Republic and then as a state of the United States of America. She is the only state that has been a Republic. Six flags have flown over Texas since the explorer Cortez came to her shores in 1519.

Those flags are:

Spain from 1519-1685; 1690-1821
France 1685-1690
Mexico 1821-1836
Texas Republic 1836-1845
United States 1845-1861; 1865-Present
Confederate States 1861-1865

This 1960 postcard was purchased by me when I went to the Capitol with my family during July of that year. I sent it home with a note on the back to my grandparents, James Dolphus "Doc" Gailey and Edna Puckett Gailey and my youngest sister, Ann.

Back of card:
TK-122 - Texas State Capitol
Austin, Texas
The story of this fabulous building is as romantic as a novel. Built in 1888 of pink granite from Granite Mountain at Marble Falls, Texas, it is the largest State Capitol Building in the world and second in size to the Capitol of The United States.

Photo by Texas Highway Department






Participate in Postcard Friendship Friday
hosted by
Marie Reed
Cpaphil Vintage Postcards

14 comments:

Postcardy said...

Old family postcards are fun to look at & reminisce.

Pearl said...

I enjoyed learning more about Texas. Very interesting, and how nice that you still have that postcard! Thanks for sharing...
~blessings~
Pearl

Marie Reed said...

I had no clue that so many flags have flown over Texas. This is truly fascinating. Thank you so much for introducing me to your blog! Geneology fascinated me:)

Janeen said...

Happy PFF! This is a great card and having you been the owner of it makes it even more special! Lurve it! Have a great day!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks everyone for looking at my post for Postcard Friendship Friday! The postcard looks pretty ragged now but my handwriting is on the back with a short note and my grandparents address at that time. I look forward to learning more about each of you. Come back often.
Judy

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

this is the second Texas postcard today - must be something in the air!
Evelyn in Montreal

Judith Richards Shubert said...

I'll have to go check that out, Evelyn! Thanks for reading my post.

LaY hOoN said...

Judy, this is such a wonderful postcard.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Wish you have a great week :)

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thank you, LaY hOoN, for your kind comment. I am honored to have a visitor from Malaysia. I hope you will come again soon.

Helge Mikkelsen said...

Hi
Thanks for visiting my blog. I will blog more often with new and old postcards.

Helge

Sheila said...

Hello from the UK! I find your blog fascinating - I'm learning so much about the US and realise there are huge gaps in my knowledge.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks, Helge, for dropping by. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your postcards and reading your posts.

Sheila, I appreciate visitors from the UK! I can't imagine that I've taught you any history with my meager attempts at blogging for my genealogy, but if so, I'm very gratified. Thanks for coming by.

Amy said...

Oh I love Texas. I am from there. Thanks for coming by the other day. Hope you had a great weekend.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thank you, Amy! Enjoy your week.

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert