Friday, June 5, 2009

The Janice Brown Puckerbrush Blog Award for Excellence


I became aware of this coveted award just yesterday when reading a recent post on Destination: Austin Family. Thomas had received the award from Kathryn Doyle at California Genealogical Society and Library Blog and very graciously thanked her and ten genealogy bloggers that have greatly impressed him. I thought then that it was a wonderful honor to have been given the award and to have been selected as one of Thomases' "top 10".

Little did I know that I had received the award, too! Two very beautiful ladies and fellow GeneaBloggers left it for me over at Facebook and on my blog. I met Becky Jamison at Grace and Glory not long after I first started blogging and have followed her blogs with interest. She is "Grace under fire" and has a very generous and encouraging spirit. Thank you, Becky, so much for the Puckerbrush.

After I discovered Becky's note at Facebook, I found that Cheryl Palmer, author of Heritage Happens had also favored my blog with the Puckerbrush. I haven't been following Cheryl quite as long as Becky, but she is equally a fine GeneaBlogger and an inspiration. She has a beautiful blog and is a Graveyard Rabbit. Thank you, Cheryl.

Since this post was published I had the very nice surprise of having Granny Pam honor me with this award, too. I appreciate so much her recognition of my blog. You can read her amazing posts at Granny's Genealogy.

I know the history of the award has been shared by many of you but if you are just seeing it for the first time like I was last night, I feel you need to hear about its history. I understand that Terry Thornton, author of Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi, created the award to honor fellow genealogy blogger, Janice Brown. Terry explained that "Janice told us all about the word 'puckerbrush' in an article she posted August 27, 2007, at Cow Hampshire." You really need to go to Janice's blog and read this most engaging post.

Janice's definition of the puckerbrush is as follows: "On any land allowed to go fallow and left untended, a wild assortment of wild plants grow – in some areas, this wild growth results in such a thicket of plants that it is almost impossible to push your way through the growth."

Terry stated further: "So it is with the growth of blogs --- so many that it is impossible to read them all. But in the puckerbrush eventually a few plants/trees become dominant and influence all who view them through the thick surrounding puckerbrush.

And it is those outstanding blogs whose influence spreads beyond just the surrounding rabble of puckerbrush that I'm honoring."

Terry's challenge: "Henceforth these awards will be called the Janice Brown Puckerbrush Blog Award for Excellence. All blog authors are hereby challenged to name the ten blogs which have influenced their writing the most and list them as a tribute to Janice --- the Janice Brown Puckerbrush Blog Awards for Excellence.
I, too, find it very difficult to pick out just 10 blogs to honor with this award; Bloggers who have been influential to me in my efforts to become one of them. There are those who've already been chosen that I feel deserve my respect and thanks, as well, but I will not include them here. I will try to pick some of my favorite blogs who have not yet been snagged by this Puckerbrush.

  1. Janice Tracy inspires me daily at Mississippi Memories. Janice was the very first blogger to contact me after I joined Facebook's GeneaBloggers. She was so encouraging and led me to believe I could do anything I wanted to with my blog. She is an articulate and expansive writer. I love to read her book reviews, her family history, and the tales of her beloved Mississippi.
  2. Mona Mills is another Mississippian that I love to follow. Her blog, Itawamba Connections has many Texas ties and, of course, that interests me. Mona has a sense of humor and a love of her ancestry that is found in everything she writes. She posts wonderful family photos that look as if they could be found in any of our photo albums. She has shown me ways to incorporate my history in my posts in a way that I feel is unique and interesting.
  3. Janet Iles at Janet the researcher is just one of the several Canadian bloggers whom I love to read and emulate. She is a member of several organizations including the Association of Professional Genealogists and Ontario Chapter along with other local and national groups. She has been encouraging and helpful to me and feeds my blog with her comments.
  4. Bill West is a most interesting bookseller from New England. He has been one of my most constant followers. His blog, West in New England, is filled with news and fun facts. His on-going saga about Jeremiah Swain, his 9x great-grandfather (he has just posted the final chapter) has been one of the most interesting series I've read.
  5. Brett Payne lives in New Zealand. His wonderful blog is called Photo-Sleuth. He IS the Photo-Sleuth! He has supplied me with so much inspiration with his sense of history and the knowledge he imparts to his readers. I love old photos, as I know all geneabloggers do, and he has some of the best.
  6. Amy Crooks has a great blog entitled Untangled Family Roots. She has been another of my faithful followers and feeders of my blog. I am impressed by her seemingly boundless energy in balancing a family, a job, and her research. I have gotten a lot of ideas from her treatment of family history, research and photos. She lives in Idaho and so holds a special place in my heart as my mother is buried in that state which seems to be (at times) a million miles away from Texas.
  7. JoLyn Day is the author of the beautiful blog, Uphill Both Ways. She is another fellow blogger who lives in Idaho. Salt Lake to be exact. She has told her families' story in a unique way and I find inspiration for my blog every time I visit her. She has written a great dedication to members of her family on the page that tell about Uphill Both Ways and her Cast of Characters is a great way to showcase individuals.
  8. What can be said about Ernie Margheim who writes Ernie's Journeys that hasn't already been said? He is an inspiration to all of us who aspire to a good, long life filled with family love and adventure. He has taught me to persevere and look for the good in everyone. All of that can be incorporated in my blog!
  9. The GeneaDiva from the western part of Tennessee shares her family with us at GeneaDiva's History, Genealogy and "Stuff". I particularly enjoy it because of her Tennessee roots, as my husband's are in east Tennessee. I feel we share a common bond. She claims she is not a writer, but I disagree. She writes about her ancestors with ease and understanding of the lives they lived.
  10. Amanda, the author of A Tale of Two Ancestors, is a breath of fresh air. I love the joyous way she writes and the way she shares her daily research with us. I have learned a lot just by hanging around with her. Her blog is full of examples of her indexing, sourcing, cemetery searches, etc. And oh, yes, She's Engaged!

Now get busy and pass the Puckerbrush Blog Award along.

15 comments:

geneabloggers said...

Thanks for the shout out and for helping to recognize some very worthy genealogy blogs!

Becky Jamison said...

Judy, you are such a special lady! You took the time to write a beautiful post--I didn't have the time to do justice to my choices for recipients of this award. The day will come when I can spend the necessary time on my genealogy. I LOVE your blogs! I'm so blessed to be your friend! On behalf of my Dad, Ernie Margheim, I thank you. I'll definitely print this out for him next Monday and help him make his choices to pass it on. He'll be beside himself at receiving this award from you. He doesn't have internet connection at the nursing home, but may be going home in a couple of weeks. The dr. will tell us next Wed. Bless your heart. You are such a jewel.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thomas, you know you have been such a great help to me, as well as to all the others who have acknowledged that fact! I learn so much from your "how-to" posts. Thanks for your support.

And Becky, thanks to you as well. I can't imagine you'd have time to even post, let alone write a note about each of your choices. Tell Ernie hello and I do hope he will be pleased with my review.

Brett Payne said...

Thank you very much for taking the time to nominate me, Judith, and for your very kind words. I'm very grateful and well aware that I get much of my inspiration from all of you Geneabloggers. Regardsand best wishes, Brett

Judith Richards Shubert said...

You're very welcome, Brett! Meant very word.

GrannyPam said...

I nominated you for the Puckerbrush Award of Excellence, (see http://www.warrenweb.info/genealogy/?p=2345 ).

I know you already had it, but another nomination can't hurt!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Well, it certainly can't! Thank you so, so much Pam. It means a lot to me that you would honor me with this award.

amyrebba said...

Thank you so much Judith for the award. I love to read your blog as well. In reading your post I gained a few new blogs to follow. They are some wonderful ones I can tell. I had trouble coming up with 10 new ones that weren't already nominated, but I chose a few that really inspire me, and yours would have been one if someone else hadn't done it first. Thanks again and keep up the wonderful stories. I love to read them.

Janice Tracy said...

Judy, I have been so busy the past few weeks with my daughter's wedding (they were married Friday!) that I have not been reading or posting much the past few weeks. But today, when I read Genealogy Traces, I saw that you had honored me with Terry Thornton's newly created "The Janice Brown Puckerbrush Award for Excellence." I appreciate the award and your kind words so very much. You continue to be an inspiration to me with your beautiful style of writing and the wonderful stories that you tell.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Janice, you are too kind. Thank you. I have missed you the few weeks for sure. Was the wedding beautiful? There is so much activity during a wedding, it must be a sigh of relief that it's over. Congratulations to the newly weds.

Kathryn Doyle said...

Judy,
I finally made it over here to thank you for tracing things back and mentioning my little part in the spread of the Puckerbrush. And thanks for writing a paragraph about each of the blogs that inspired you. I'm constantly amazed by the amount of good writing coming out of so many genealogy blogs. I just wish I had more time to spend reading them!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

You're very welcome, Kathryn. And I agree that there is so little time to read all of the great blogs out there. I've learned so much since joining GeneaBloggers about genealogy, family history, and blogging. I love it. Thanks for stopping by.

Amanda Acquard said...

This is a tremendously overdue thank you, but I was just going through my blog and seemed to miss replying to a lot of posts over the summer. Thank you so much for this award, it made my day!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

That's quite alright, Amanda! I sometimes find things I haven't done, but meant to. Way too often, in fact! Thank you for your kind words about my blog.

I forgot to thank Amy Crook about her nice response, too! Thanks Amy!
Keep on writing, both of you.

amyrebba said...

Judy, Thank you. I appreciate your kind words and your continuing support of my blog. As you can see I've not been blogging much these days. Life is crazy, but I still find time once in a while. We live not far from where we were before, but now we are out on a 5 acre farm with my parents. We've split the home, but are purposly living a lot like our ancestors. We thinking combining the larger family has a lot of binefits, but it also takes up more of my time and leaves less for my research and blogging. I'm glad you still follow me though. Take care.

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert