Monday, June 7, 2010

Amanuensis Monday - "Dearest Vernelle"

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

S.S. Recruting office
San Antionio Tex.,
March 15, 1941
Dearest Vernelle,

Well Darling how is the measles serving you by now, I hope you are completely well by this time. I mean now Mar. 15, 1941 at 3:30 o'clock and by the way it's Saturday too.

When we got to town last night we didn't even get off the bus therefore I didn't have a chance to send you a telegram like I promised and I can't get off to go to town until they get ready to send us home, and I don't know if it will be early enough tonight for me to send you a telegram but I hope so, because I am afraid that you are beginning to wonder if I am still alive or not. well I am, and very much so, I failed the Physical on acount of weak eyes. I knew it about 11:30 this morning and I wish to got I could let you know about it but I can't do anything about it just now if I expect to get a free ride home.

I'm pretty sure that I will beat this home but I am just waiting so I backed up against the wall on the office porch and began scribbling.

It took us until 9:45 last night to get here and we didn't have to wait over, more than an hour in all.

Well I believe I will sign off and tell you more about it when I see you.

                                                                  Your loving hubby,
                                                                            Leon


A couple of things occur to me when I read this letter written from my daddy to my mother not long after they were married. It was two years before I was born and he went, as his brothers, J. D. and Floyd Richards, had before him, to enlist in the military at the beginning of WWII. He was not a highly educated man and there are several errors in the letter in form and spelling - but not many. I was surprised that he spelled some of the more difficult words correctly, such as telegram, Physical, completely. Also, I wondered about his spelling of the word he meant to be "God" - spelling it "got". It seems I have seen that before. Maybe it was a regional use. I have placed images of the letter below.






I learned about Amanuensis Monday through John Newmark at Transylvanian Dutch: Genealogy and Family History If you would like to join us in posting your transcriptions, leave a comment on John's blog. I'd also love to hear from you, as well!

10 comments:

Angie Pruett said...

That's neat, Judy. You are always coming up with new surprises for us! Thanks for sharing...

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thank YOU for leaving your sweet comment, sister-dear. I just run across things all the time I had forgotten about!

Abbye Chavana Cox said...

That's really cool!!!

Peggy Duke said...

I loved this post, Judy! You continue to amaze me with all the history you have of our family. I tried to post on your site, but I couldn't see the word verification.

Vada Huntley said...

Those are so precious and I'm sure both sisters are real appreciative.. Spelling is minor in letters like these. It would not let me have a verification box either.

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Thanks Abbye, Peggy, and Vada!

Greta Koehl said...

Oh my goodness - your mother's name sounds so much like my father's middle name (the one he was called until it morphed into "Barney") - Varnell. I think it works better for a woman!

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Another reason for us to meet some day, Greta! I had an uncle on my father's side of the family named VERDELL. I never knew there were so many variations!

Terri said...

My grandfather was German born and spoke with a thick accent. When he said God it sounded more like got. Possibly if your family was of German emigrants that could be how he heard the word and therefor spelled it that way too. Just a thought.....

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Good observation, Terri. I don't think there were German ancestors, but am not really sure about daddy's grandmothers. That is something I need to research!

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas

Homsley Reunion, Seymour, Texas
RECOGNIZE THESE HOMSLEY MEN? CONTACT ME - judyshubert@yahoo.com
Copyright (c) 2014 by Judith Richards Shubert